Sunday, January 08, 2017

Nintendo's Mini Famicom

I don't consider myself a gamer per se, but if you were a kid growing up in the 80's you practically grew up with the development of computer games. As a kid we played the Atari, then the NES, then Sega Genesis. When Pentium chips came out for the PC the game makers took advantage of processor speed and fast video cards to make 3D games - although i was more of a point and click adventure game guy. I never got into modern consoles like the PS and XBOX so i missed that movement - but when they announced mini version of the old 8 bit NES i was pretty hyped. I couldn't get my hands on the US version, so i got the next best thing:


Actually, the ones i played as a kid were based on the Japanese version (Micro Genius!) so i dig the mini Famicom's look. The game choices are different than the US though but to complain would just be nitpicking - the essentials, the ones i played as a kid are all there: Super Mario, Ice Climber, Excitebike, Super Contra, and Double Dragon.


Nothing like Ice Climber to build the ol' sibling rivalry. My kids also like Kirby's Adventure. And while my 9 year old likes playing SMB3 solo, my 5 year old likes to play with Contra and Double Dragon with me.


My fave is Galaga, which i never really played as kid.

I also recently bought a Macbook recently and started playing Beneath A Steel Sky on it. I missed out on it when it came out and reminds me of everything i love about the point and click adventure games Lucasarts used to make. But that's another post for another day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

woah Beneath a Steel Sky..
theres one part in the tunnel like all faux-Sierra games where you have to click on a small hole or sthg damn kaw infuriating

K.A. said...

back in the mid 00s when i was bit by the SCUMMVM bug i had the internet to help with walkthroughs, if only to finish the game faster. but back in the 90s i wouldnt have finished games if i didnt have help from college roomies. good times.